Code name: Unstad
Publication: April 14, 2020
With verinice 1.20, the verinice.TEAM provides more than 50 new functions, detail changes and bug fixes.
With verinice 1.20, users receive support for essential tasks in the modernized IT-Grundschutz:
- The update of modelled information networks, which is required annually by the BSI with the publication of a new IT-Grundschutz compendium, is significantly simplified by a guided update functionality (new modelling).
- The implementation of the risk analysis according to BSI standard 200-3 is effectively supported by visualization of outstanding risk analyses as well as high or very high risks requiring action.
- The visualization of the implementation status for each module shows at a glance the degree of fulfillment of the type of procedure.
- IT-Grundschutz audits can be performed, documented and output via report template.
The most important innovations are documented in the release notes.
The 19th International Conference for the open source software Samba will take place from 26th - 28th May 2020 as an online event. The planned IO-Lab is cancelled.
SambaXP is the annual meeting of the international Samba team with developers, users, manufacturers and system integrators within the Samba ecosystem, which has been held since 2002.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation and the associated travel and meeting restrictions, this year's conference unfortunately cannot take place at the usual venue in Göttingen. Therefore the organizing committee is planning a digital edition of the popular conference for this year.
The speakers will give their presentations live from their desks, so that participants can follow the conference from anywhere in the world via the Internet. Compared to the usual event format, the online event offers even more flexibility: It is easier to switch between tracks running in parallel or even follow two presentations at the same time. The event is recorded with consent of the speakers and will be available online after the conference.
The traditional tutorial by Stefan Kania will also be held as a webinar on the day before the conference (Tuesday, 25 May 2020). This year's topic: "Clustering with CTDB".
The IO-Lab, which is planned for the first time in the context of this year's SambaXP unfortunately cannot take place due to the current circumstances.
You can find all the latest information at sambaxp.org.
The organizing committee is available for questions at loc@sambaXP.org.
We are looking forward to a digital SambaXP 2020 and would like to thank the sponsors Google and Microsoft.
Samba is the most important free software alternative for SMB/CIFS servers, especially in the Microsoft Windows environment. You can find more information at samba.org.
SerNet GmbH is the global technological market leader for services related to the open source software Samba and offers its own Samba distribution under the brand name SAMBA+. Further information can be found at sernet.de and samba.plus.
- At present, there is no case of COVID-19 infection at SerNet and nobody is in domestic quarantine.
- All SerNet colleagues with children, all those over 50 years of age and those with health pre-conditions are now working in the home office and can still be reached by email and telephone as before.
- All other colleagues are also in the HomeOffice, with the exception of a minimum crew present in our offices in Göttingen and Berlin.
- On-site visits to our customers are reduced to the minimum necessary.
- If possible, we do not postpone any projects, as this crisis will, according to the current state of knowledge, extend well beyond four weeks. Delays will be discussed with our customers and negative effects will be reduced as much as possible.
- The capacities of our telephone switchboard will be expanded. Our customers could notice bottlenecks at the beginning of the week at most due to the switch to home office, but these will be quickly eliminated. Please send us mails to the known addresses or firstname.lastname@example.org if there are problems with the telephone availability.
- The number and capacity of VPN channels for our customers will be significantly increased to avoid bottlenecks. All customers can simultaneously use all VPN channels managed by SerNet to access their own networks with sufficient bandwidth.
Ticket sales for the sambaXP 2020 have begun. SerNet will host the annual meeting of the international Samba community from 26 to 28 May 2020 at the Hotel Freizeit In in Göttingen. For the first time an SMB3 interoperability laboratory (IO-Lab) will be held parallel to the sambaXP.
The new IO-Lab format starts on May 24 and ends on May 29: On all days, a collaborative exchange for testing SMB3 implementations should be possible in a cooperative atmosphere. All participants can get involved in testing, identifying and fixing bugs in order to develop and improve interoperable products. Microsoft and SerNet provide networks and infrastructure for the IO-Lab. The participants define the testing process together and ensure that their goals are achieved.
The SerNet/Microsoft SMB3 IO-Lab offers
- the latest Windows client and server software from Microsoft, including test suites that help to verify interoperability for various functions of the SMB3 protocols,
- technical support for SMB3 engineers to investigate traces and help diagnose problems.
The participants of the interoperability laboratory are subject to a non-disclosure agreement and entry is restricted to registrants only.
Tickets for the conference as well as the IO-lab are available at an early bird price until 29 February 2020. In addition, a tutorial on Tuesday 26 May can be booked: Stefan Kania, longtime sambaXP speaker and samba trainer, will focus on the topic "CTDB". Tickets and further information about the CfP can be found here: sambaxp.org.
The Call for Papers is also still running, submissions of papers are still welcome.
The sambaXP 2020 is sponsored by Google and Microsoft. This year's organiser is once again SerNet GmbH, which would like to use the conference to promote exchange between Samba developers and users from all over the world.
The agenda for verinice.XP 2020 is online: SerNet is hosting the conference for verinice users on 26 and 27 February 2020 in Berlin (Radisson Blu Hotel, Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 3, 10178 Berlin). Reduced Early Bird tickets are available until 14 December 2019. On 25 February there will also be a workshop day (bookable separately): Altogether four Workshops are dedicated to special topics like the conversion of the modernized IT Baseline Protection, the integration of industry standards and data security in verinice.
Using the early bird phase
Karen Kämpf (Federal Office for Information Security) starts of verinice.XP on February 26 with "Minimum Standards according to §8 Abs. 1 BSIG". Andrea Sudbrock (Chamber of Crafts East Westphalia) sheds light on the interaction of external and internal data security representatives. The "Risk analysis between BSI 200-3 and DIN/ISO 27005" is addressed by Kai Wittenburg (neam IT-Services), followed by Martin Peters (Sec2do) with a lecture on "Migration from BSI 100 to BSI 200". Alexander Koderman (SerNet) takes a look at "IT Baseline Protection around the globe: Cybersecurity Framework and NIST SP 800-53" before the day ends with a social event in the conference hotel.
On 27 February, Susanne Aust ("Modernized IT Baseline Protection using the example of the University Hospital Halle (Saale)") and Thomas Skerhutt (Charité Berlin, "Leap through the worlds - the ISMS as a central node in Europe's largest university hospital") will report from two university hospitals where verinice is in use. Also on the agenda are "Compliant Data Protection Impact Assessment with verinice.PRO" (Robert Raczynski), the "Partial Automation of Risk Analysis according to ISO 27005 through Integration with SecuriCAD" (Ulrich Heun, CARMAO) and the further development of verinice (verinice product owner Michael Flürenbrock).
Reduced Early Bird tickets for the conference are still available until December 14. These cost 399 euros. Starting from 15.12. the regular price lies with 499 euro. Tickets are available over https://www.verinicexp.org
Workshops for using verinice
Following the success of the last few years, workshops are once again being held ahead of the event, this time with a significantly broader range of topics. To be chosen from:
- Integration of further standards in verinice using the example of B3S for Healthcare (Dirk Brand, SILA Consulting)
- Implementation of the modernized IT Baseline Protection in verinice (Ulf Riechen, Riechen Consulting)
- IT Baseline Protection und Datenschutz: Hand in hand with verinice (Inna Thies, Christopher Büttner & Tessa Witzigmann, Cassini Consulting)
- ISO 27001 and Data Protection Module 3 (Tatjana Anisow & Sirin Torun, SerNet)
The number of participants is limited - fast booking pays off. Participation is also possible independently of attending the conference and costs 450 Euro.